Oakland’s OIM Records is shining a light to chronicle the decrease of the Bay Area music scene. Led by Sarah Sexton and Angelica Tavella the movement started in the summer of 2014 when thirteen Bay Area bands were given three days to record a song with producer Jeff Saltzman (The Killers, Blondie, Dept of Eagles) in his studio in Oakland – using the same room, same equipment and same level of Jeff’s extreme sass. The Vol. I compilation, initiated as a fun way to honor the blossoming Oakland music scene, would turn out to be the igniting force of the up & coming Oakland indie label, OIM Records.
Now, two years later, the gang of misfits behind this endeavor offer up another morsel to nibble on with their 2nd annual compilation, OIM: Vol. II. Featuring Oakland and SF favorites such as the melodically upbeat, hook-filled garage rock of Hot Flash Heat Wave, the kaleidosonic afro soul of Bells Atlas, and the West Coast pop of Be Calm Honcho, and The Tambo Rays to offer up a bit of those California summer vibes. Below is the compilation of the best rising bands in the Bay Area that dropped on July 22nd.
OIM Vol. II is out now.
01. Hot Flash Heat Wave – Bye Bye Baby
02. The Tambo Rays – Get It Right Now
03. Bells Atlas – All Is Well
04. O – Be There For You
05. TV Heads – Chin Up
06. Be Calm Honcho – Kid Go Hard
07. Everyone Is Dirty – Silver & White
08. Spooky Mansion – Mrs. John
09. Virgin Teeth – Isaac Newton
10. The Other Band On Earth – Pleasure
11. Sugar Candy Mountain – A Day At Every Door